Randomised controlled trials data update 2021
The Homeopathy Research Institute (HRI) is pleased to announce the findings from Dr Robert Mathie’s latest clinical evidence update:
Total number of randomised controlled trials (RCTs):
2021: 255 RCTs of homeopathic treatments for 136 medical conditions
It is promising to see a slight increase in the volume of trials published per year, i.e. 14 RCTs in 2021, compared to 12 RCTs in 2020.
Double-blind placebo-controlled trials (DB-RCTs):
Considering only DB-RCTs in humans, published in peer reviewed journals (excluding prophylaxis and cross-over studies), the analysis found:
2020: 140 trials on 86 different medical conditions
2021: 148 trials on 88 different medical conditions
148 RCTs of homeopathy (end of 2021)
The 8 new DB-RCTs – 2 positive1,2 0 negative and 6 inconclusive3-8 trials – have resulted in a slight shift in the overall balance of evidence as follows:
Positive: ↓ 1%
Negative: ↓ 2%
Inconclusive: ↑ 2%
Our most popular FAQ webpage has been updated to include:
- the new 2021 data on homeopathy trials
- the full list of references for the 148 double-blind placebo controlled trials represented in the pie chart.
- Ghosh S, Ravindra RK, Modak A et al. Efficacy of individualized homeopathic medicines in primary dysmenorrhea: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, clinical trial. J Complement Integr Med 2021 Jun 3. doi: 10.1515/jcim-2020-0512. Online ahead of print.
- Shahid S, Ghosh S, Chakraborty AS et al. Efficacy of Individualized Homeopathic Medicines in Plantar Fasciitis: Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. Homeopathy 2021 Sep 07. DOI: 10.1055/s-0041-1731383. Online ahead of print.
- Dey S, Hashmi S, Saha S et al. A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Pilot Trial of Individualized Homeopathic Medicines for Cutaneous Warts. Homeopathy 2021 Aug;110(3):149-159
- Dey S, Shaikh AR, Saha S et al. Efficacy of Individualized Homeopathic Medicines in the Treatment of Atopic Dermatitis in Adults: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Preliminary Trial. Complement Med Res2021 Apr 15;1-10
- Dolev T, Ben-David M, Shahadi I et al. Attention Dysregulation in Breast Cancer Patients Following a Complementary Alternative Treatment Routine: A Double-Blind Randomized Trial. Integrative Cancer Therapies 2021; 20: 1–10
- Dutta S, Ganguly S, Mukherjee SK et al. Efficacy of individualized homeopathic medicines in intervening with the progression of pre-hypertension to hypertension: A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Explore (NY) 2021 Jun 5;S1550-8307(21)00098-7.
- Parewa M, Burman AS, Brahma A et al. Individualized Homeopathic Medicines in the Treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Pilot Trial. Complement Med Res 2021; 28(5):407-418
- Sadhukhan S, Singh S, Michael J et al. Individualized Homeopathic Medicines in Stage I Essential Hypertension: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Trial. J Altern Complement Med 2021 Jun; 27(6):515-521